Sunday, December 18, 2016

Education degrees VS Non-Ed majors

One topic I never really thought about to myself a lot since I started teaching is the controversial nature of being a teacher without an education degree. Probably because I have been so focused on myself as a teacher, I never really thought about what others might consider of me when I tell them I never went through an education program at college. I did some google searching, and as I thought, non-education majors as teachers are not very well liked and the question of their effectiveness is the prime reason. But, then that raises the question: does having an education degree make you a more effective teacher than those who are not?

A little back ground about me: I graduated with a degree in Studio Art. Initially, I went to school to study animation, however after noticing that the job prospects were low and the financial toll was high, I left for studio art, specifically to become a teacher afterwards. I have always wanted to teach art, since high school, but the appeal of being able to work in animation steered me away. I also wanted my degree to be in Art Education specifically, but this would be require me to move out of town 2 hours away. So, I was told by my mentor that I can get alternatively certified if I get my degree in the subject I wanted to teach. And so, I did. And it worked. I graduated with a degree in Studio Art and I then went on to become Alternatively Certified, which requires some extra schooling while you teach. You can take courses on weekends, evenings, and summer.

I am sure that someone who has never had experience in a classroom suddenly being thrown in will not be quite as effective as someone who spent a semester or two in the classroom during college. But then again, I am sure there are some teachers who have that internship experience and yet they are still as ineffective as someone with no prior experience. A person's personal ability is the major factor here, not their experience nor their schooling. Teaching is a skill and a talent like anything else, and if you just don't have it, you may as well never have it. I have seen some people go into teaching and realize that very early on. They understand that despite all the schooling and prior experience they had before, they just weren't cut out to be teachers. Many leave by their 3rd year.

Prior to entering the classroom, I made sure I took on many teaching experiences to help prepare me for the real thing. I taught as a volunteer and I took small jobs as after school or summer camp counselors to make sure I could handle being around children. Very early on, I noticed I had an incredible knack for it. It all just clicked. When I was in front of the classroom, it all felt natural, easy, comfortable. Children would stare at me with eyes wide open, fingers crossed, ready to learn. I was naturally predisposed for teaching. No one taught me how to do it. No one showed me the way. I was thrown in and in the end, it all worked out. Now, I must admit, I lacked some useful skills an education major may have learned in college, but these were skills anyone can learn to do and they were skills that did not hinder my ability to teach.

Now back to the question of teacher effectiveness and education degrees: I'd say, it does not make a difference if you're not already naturally predisposed to teaching. If you cannot teach, you cannot teach. It's that simple. I cannot sing as beautifully as Mariah Carey can and I never will be able to, no matter how many singing lessons I take. An ineffective teacher will not be able to magically become effective  no matter whether they have an education degree or not. Being an effective teacher has nothing to do with your education and everything to do with your talent. And you dare to disagree, just remember all those crappy teachers you had back in school. Did they ever get better? Probably not.


No comments:

Post a Comment